First semester gone and back to uni. Leaving home after what potentially would be your first visit back can resurface some of the feelings experienced during the first weeks at uni.
If you find that you still haven’t adapted there are loads of people that can help from tutors to lecturers and of course the help zone. But personally, I would make sure that you make the most of the first few weeks to emerge yourself into the social life at uni, I didn’t and now I’m finding it hard. I’ve even considered leaving but I’m going to stick it out for now…
So, to make new friends I suggest:
- Join a club or society, become a volunteer. You’ll meet a lot of new people and have a lot of fun.
- Be a good listener, show interest in other people. Smile and relax.
- Don’t hide away, by doing this it’ll only get worse as the weeks go by and you’ll feel even more alone.
- Be prepared to try new things, see what happens and enjoy yourself.
- Don’t be scared to be you, we all have our good things and our bad ones but being at uni gives you the opportunity to meet people with similar likes and interests as you.
- Keep in touch, something that thanks to technology is pretty simple.
- Be patient, it won’t happen straight away but you’ll get there eventually.